- Proposes that personality is based on the interaction of two basic systems in the brain:
1. Behavioral Activation System (BAS): The accelerator (“hit the gas”)
– Impulsivity, novelty seeking, sensitivity to rewards and motivation to seek rewards.
–Attraction to a person or a cookie and a desire to approach the person or cookie, especially a “new” one?
- High BAS = Lots of positive affect (PA); Low BAS = Less PA
- High BAS = Impulsive; Low BAS = Reserved and Careful
- High BAS = Extraversion; Low BAS = Introversion
BAS = Left Frontal Lobe:
- Active while experiencing positive emotion (happiness).
2. Behavioral Inhibition System (BIS): “Hitting the brakes”. Sensitivity to potential punishment and motivation to avoid punishment.
–Fear of rejection by someone you fancy or fear of a snake and the motivation to avoid these things comes from this system.
-Avoidance of people, places, and situations that have the perception of…
View original post 78 more words